Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Writing Magic

I am reading a book called Writing Magic: Creating Stories That Fly by Gail Carson Levine. She is my favorite author. In this book she gives assignments and you have to do them the first assignment was to pick a paragraph from the ones she gives you then write for 20 min. using that paragraph as your starter. The next assignment was to write about a boy or girl finding a diamond necklace on the seat of the school bus. The first assignment I did fine on (I'll let you read the beginning in a sec) but the second one, believe it or not, is really hard! I'm going to try to think on what to do but first tell me what you think of this...

I was born with one green eye and one brown eye. The green eye sees truth, but the brown eye sees much, much more.

My name is Salina Witherbe. I am 13 years old and I am special. I am special for two reasons. The first I have told you (my different eyes). The second is that I am an orphan. What’s so special about that right? Well I think it’s special because mostly when you hear of orphans you think what a horrible position they must be in. No parents, no family, no one to love them, and what a terrible place an orphanage must be. But where I live it’s not. Sure it’s not like having a mom and dad everyday but it’s my family. I have friends who seem like brothers and sisters and I have the Head Mistress and the other staff who seem like Mothers and Fathers and Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. Sure there are the bullies but there are also people who stick up for you. We have a schedule for mornings and nights (for the afternoons we’re at school) and we all (except the bullies) get a long as though we were one big happy family.

When I was born, or so the story go’s, and my parents saw that I had two different colored eyes they took me to a doctor to see if there was anything wrong with my eyes. There wasn’t it was just the way I was made. The doctor said they should watch me closely for cases like mine were rare and it could be good or bad. I could have something wrong with my brain or I could have something very special, but he didn’t know what.

My Parents did not have long to watch me for any signs though for just a day latter our house burned to the ground. My father had gotten trapped and my mother, although she made it out, had such bad burns nothing could be done for her and she died also. People say they died saving me, that my father was stuck in my room from the ceiling caving in right after he handed me to my mother, and that she could not see though the smock and kept waiting for him to take her arm and as the time went by she could not wait and ran from the house just and the rest of it caved in. They say she was delirious and she kept asking where Kent (my father) was. She laid there crying for him and holding me to her till she dropped me on the way on to the stretcher. They also say it was our enemy who burnt our house and killed my parents. They say my mother whispered to her closest friend “Help her,” she said pointing to me. “He must not get her or find that she is alive. For he… did it. He hates us… for… are love.” “Who?” the friend asked (for I don’t know their name), “Glance. Phil-” and then she was unconscious. That was the last thing she said.

We (the friend and I) rode to the hospital with her, and when she (it may have been a he but no one knows) herd my mother was dead she took me away, Out of the town out of the state. She (or he) had a tombstone made with my name on it saying that I had died in the fire alongside my parents. Finally she brought me here, to the orphanage. It was the best, or so she’d (he’d) heard. She wrote out the story and gave it to the Head Mistress swearing her to secrecy, not to tell anyone except me, and only when I could understand for myself, the danger I could be in if it got out.

OK there might be some miner mistakes but I'm still working on it. Tell me what you think! :D

P.S. Mom I think this could be consider school right?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH that sounds SOOO interesting!! KEEP WRITING!!

Anna said...

I agree with Kate.
I can't whait to hear the rest of the story!
Anna